Quote of the TOday! But not updated everyday

Quand tu tombes en amour, c'est la merde.
(Translation : When you fall in love, it's shit.)
- Louisa

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Is this what they call the French Charm?

I went around Paris running errands for the whole day, from 10am until 5pm, after which I ate a bowl of instant noodles that I bought at FranPrix; it was VERY dissatisfying. I can't get used to having to cook again. I almost forgot how awful the food I made tasted. Even the instant noodles I cooked were soggy! But guess what? There is a huge cafeteria in the lobby of my residence and I can get a meal for 2.80 EURO! That's the best deal I've seen so far. Also, I noticed that the sports center is also in my building! I know, this one is not quite the athlete but it's always comforting to have a facility so closeby. Amy will be glad when she comes! =D

I was actually referring to something very specific in my title. I was walking in the metro station and casually observing the people around me, when I accidentally made eye contact with this asian dude in this late twenties who was walking towards me. He was well dressed, well groomed - the typical Parisian - but this time, he stopped and started talking to me! He asked me if I went to the Sorbonne and when I gave away that I was on an exchange with UPMC, he started bombarding me with questions to which I answered nicely enough. At one point, he leans in for "la bise francaise"! WOAH, was not expecting that move. Then, just as I was about to head off, he asks me so casually what I'm doing tomorrow and even more casually gives me his contact card. I'm very closed-minded when it comes to these situations that i kept on tell myself "ok, so he's going to sell me something right about now", the whole time. Only after explaining the situation to two friends did it slightly register in my mind that I might have gotten hit on. So this must be the French slickness they are so famous for! I was so confused!


Lastly, I got surprised by the Arc de Triomphe when I got off at the Champs Elysés station. My plan was to head to HSBC across the road but there it was, that huge and majestic monument right on my right. I think people who haven't visited Paris don't realize how massive that thing really is. Here's a picture:


3 comments:

  1. Watch out for those Parisian boys! Eye contact held for more than 2 seconds is a sign that you're interested. It happens so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh I had no idea! I still have no idea after all that! I just always thought people need to acknowledge each other more on the streets. Thanx for the heads up!!!
    - Fanyi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good story! I don't think it was close minded to think he was trying to sell you something at all. I mean seriously, who do you know that has personal contact cards?

    ReplyDelete